Saturday 6 June 2015

Fabric Shopping in London



So - I have a massive pile of finished makes to photograph and blog about, but those will have to wait juuust a tad longer, as I am itching to show you a fabric haul from our recent London holiday.

We have had a rather blah spring around here due to some un-inspiring and stressful weeks with school, job and some unexpected family issues. Everyone is well, but we needed a break from it all. So, when we suddenly got some money back from our rent, we treated ourselves to a little holiday. The choice fell on a extra long weekend in London around Ascension Day.

Walthamstow market

I had spent some time researching where to shop for fabrics in London, and was happy to have enough time in London between all the castles, museums and general entertainment to visit Liberty, Goldhawk Road and Walthamstow Market, although I only had about 1-2 hours for each of those places.

Goldhawk Road.

I LOVE buying fabrics when traveling, as I think they are the perfect souvenirs. In general, I tried to focus on quality over quantity, as I have a bad habit of buying too much too cheap fabric when presented with endless bolts to choose from. I think I succeeded, as I only came home with 7 truly gorgeous pieces of fabric and some trim. Take a look:

3 m red and pink watercolor flowers on a cotton lawn from Goldhawk Road
for the perfect summer dress
2,5 m blue peacock Liberty-like cotton lawn and 1 m matching blue silky polyester for lining, both from Goldhawk Road for a fancy summer dress.

1,5 m navy and pink floral viscose from Goldhawk Road.
Will become a dress or skirt. 

1,5 m white drapy mystery fabric with black stars from Goldhawk Road. 

1,5 m very wide (220 cm) cotton bedding fabric with purple rose border print from a fabric store off Walthamstow Market, destined to become my first Emery dress.  

2,5 m navy knit lace fabric from The Man Outside Sainsbury on Walthamstow Market.
Little Navy Dress, anyone?

1 m each of bordeaux and sand polyester lace trim from Walthamstow Market.
Trim for a victorian corset. 

I have a few other projects to finish before I can dive into these new, shiny fabrics, so I better get going with those. Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment